Stress Facts in the WorkplaceStress Facts in the Workplace
• On average, employees with high stress have 46% higher health care costs and are twice as likely to cost employers 250% more in health care expenses than co-workers with lower stress.
• Stress is responsible for over 70% of workplace accidents, 50% of absenteeism, and over $300 billion in associated costs.
• "Stress has become one of the most serious health issues of the 20th century and a worldwide epidemic" according to the World Labor Report by the U.N.'s International Organization.
• 28% of employers think more employees are absent with fake excuses due to increased stress and burnout caused by the recession.
• According to American Psychological Association: Stress in the workplace is costing American business $300 billion a year. Causes of stress, the association said, include job uncertainty, cost-cutting, a relentless demand for higher productivity and the proliferation of communications tools such as e-mail, cell phones, Blackberries, that blur the boundaries between work and home. That's the figure the American Psychological Association puts on the loss of productivity, absenteeism, turnover and increased medical costs caused by stress at work. According to a poll conducted by the association, two-thirds of American employees say work has a significant impact on their stress level, and one in four has called in sick as a result of stress.
• 42.6% of adults 18+ years old experienced adverse health effects from stress in 1985- National Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Objectives
• When asked to rank the elements of life that cause them the most stress, respondents placed "excessive noise in the environment" right behind "working/raising family." - National Stress Survey, Prevention Magazine
• Job related stress creates home problems which adds to job stress affecting personal productivity. – National Study Of Changing Workforce
• Lack of control, high demands and repetitive work lead to job stress which can lead to health problems. - Duke University
Copyright ©1995-2010 Stress Less, Inc